Dogs are wonderful, loyal creatures, but not all of their owners are. Sometimes, their owners let their loyalty stray, or misguide it. A dog with the wrong master can become a real menace. On the occasion that a mordeduras de perro a human, that dog’s owner must be held responsible. Fortunately, California Dog bite law reflects this.
In plain English, the law has several points that are worth noting:
- Lawsuits against owners are either dismissed or damage amounts are reduced if the victim was found to be provoking the dog.
- A defense of provocation is not applicable if the victim is under five years old.
- Dog bite lawsuits apply strictly to an act of biting, not ramming or knocking-down.
- If the victim is the dog owner’s landlord, lawsuits can be filed on the grounds of negligence.
- If the victim is an employee of the dog owner and the bite took place on company property, the lawsuit falls under labor action instead of dog bites.
- People eligible for lawsuits are those who are bitten when invited onto the dog owner’s property, or who are permitted by law to enter someone’s property in the line of work, such as mail carriers, firefighters, or police officers.
If you or anyone you know falls under any of the above criteria, you may be entitled to a settlement. Freeman and Freeman represent all personal injury cases, including dog bites. Feel free to Contacto or visit our website for more info or to see if you are eligible for our services.