Drivers who are in an auto accident are often unsure of what to do immediately following the crash. They are overwhelmed with emotions and find it hard to think clearly. Therefore it is wise to be aware of the steps to take if you are ever in a collision BEFORE you face the situation. Consider the following checklist of steps to take after an auto accident.
Check all occupants of all vehicles involved in the collision to see if anyone is injured and in need of medical attention. Call for an ambulance if needed. Keep in mind that some injuries do not show up immediately after the accident but surface hours later. Check yourself and your passengers again at a later time to verify no one is experiencing any pain or discomfort.
Many people know to exchange insurance information but there are more details that should be recorded immediately following the accident. Include the following:
- Insurance information for all vehicles.
- Contact information for all drivers and any witnesses.
- Number of passengers and approximate age in each car.
- Injuries that occurred.
- Make and Model of all vehicles.
- License plates of all vehicles
- Weather conditions at the time of the accident.
- Traffic level at the time of the accident.
- Your version of what happened. Include a sketch of the accident scene.
- Photographs of the scene of the accident and damage to the vehicles.
Avoid apologizing to the other driver at the time of the accident. This may be taken as you admitting you caused the accident. It is best not to say anything about who was responsible at this time.
Don’t Accept a Settlement:
The insurance company may want to settle the claim right away. Although this seems wonderful because you can start repairing your car and recovering from your injuries it is most likely an attempt to get you to accept less than you deserve. Keep in mind that your injuries may require a considerable amount of medical attention in the future. Contact us before you settle so we can help you determine the value of a settlement you will really need to fully recover.
If you are in a car accident in the future keep the above checklist in mind immediately following the crash. These steps will help protect you financially.